I admit I love to watch ultimate fighting on cable tv. It is so raw and primal, and not all fake and infiltrated by the Don King's of the world. My wife can't stand it and I know I shouldn't watch it in front of our baby girl. So why do I still want to see it? Why is it one of the highest requested and watched shows on cable? Our Pastor spoke about it this past Sunday. It was very timely because this past week I have talked about this exact subject with others. I was defending my manly right to watch UFC.
It simply boils down to violence. Mankind loves to watch violence in just about any possible way. Some of it is so absolutely grotesque and degenerate that very few people can watch without turning away in horror and disgust. However, violence can be subdued and "minimized" to the point where it is "just part of the game." Most of our top rated movies have some elements of violence in them.
Here is the tough question to ask yourself. Why do we as adults feel that it is OK for us to view things that are not OK for children to view? Doesn't the Bible warn us to guard our hearts? couldn't it be argued that when we continue to view things that are "not for children," that we make our hearts callous to the world and its lusts?
Here is the kicker. This goes well beyond my desire to watch Ultimate Fighting; this goes to the heart of just about every worldly thing we "American Christians" take part in. The list is much too long for me to list here, for it basically covers all that our world stands for, and we've been told that friendship with the world is hostility toward God. Think about it and let me know what you think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good point Max. I always say to Leland, "when we have kids we can't watch a lot of tv." That's because MOST things on TV these days are trash. It would probably do the world a lot of good if people didn't have a TV at all!
Post a Comment